Monday 27 April 2009

Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel: Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel
19 August 1883 – 10 January 1971

Coco Chanel. Timeless, chic to the very core. Everyone knows Coco Chanel - the pioneer of female (and also male) fashion. I certainly knew about her, but not enough. So during my lesson (!) I decided to explore about Coco, really find out about her, knowing why she is so popular even until this date and more importantly why her quotes make such an impact on people's (okay then mine) lives.
So I searched Wikipedia, haha I know thats funny to read but it was the only website I could think of as of the time.. And wow did I learn alot, like how she was born in the poorhouse, her mother dying when Coco was still at such a tender age, her dad leaving 5 siblings to cater for themselves, or even more importantly that her name is infact Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel, something I certainly did not know about! I'm sure people reading this will think "blah! old news.." but I wont bother lying.. all I knew about Chanel was their fondess for quilted leather, their iconic chain bags, and popular perfumes (and other's or course!). But finding out such history.. well it was shocking and a bit saddening at first, but then I now read how she made a name for herself courting not just rich men but affluent rich men - a motive that made her rise to fashion power!
I was continuing my research and even found out she dated a Nazi, something shocking but what amazed me is how she was completely unfazed when parasians started to hate her, what did she do? She made herself bigger of course, and what better than making yourself famous within good old America?
Now people who know me well knows that when I want to learn about something I find as much information as I possibly can until I am fully satisfied; Im not fully satisfied just yet, so Im still learning.. Anywho I found out that she created the famous Chanel 2.55. It turns out she decided to make a purse/bag because she was tired of losing her things when out, and knew women all over the world felt the same. So she carefully designed a bag that would be the most known bag in much of the world, and what is more special is that the design of the bag is just quite simple. I havent got the Chanel 2.55 myself, but I do borrow my mothers who has about five (I borrow most of my mothers things!) and after seeing the original Chanel 2.55 I do covet after it..

The Chanel 2.55 was named "2.55" because of its date: Feburary 1955. The original bag had the Mademoiselle lock (it was called the mademoiselle lock as Coco never married). Also the chain is different as it is designed with a full gold chain instead of the newer version that are interwined with leather. The chain was used as Coco grew up in an convnent orphanage as a similar chain was used to tie around the children's caretakers to carry keys. The front flap pocket has been said that it was used to hide her many love letters from the man she was seeing! The lining which was reddish brown represents the uniform the children wore at the orphanage. The idea behind this famous bag is quite sad as it represents Coco's hard childhood. Very sad :( lol but really it doesnt suprise me how she later lived a flamboyant lifestyle; who wouldn't if they grew up in hard conditions and had the chance to rectify it? The 2.55 has been re-designed in so many different leathers, styles and sizes, it was Karl Lagerfield who designed the double cc during the 80's when he bacame the sole designer.

I have always loved the house of Chanel and I have now even gained more respect for the fashion-house which is why I decided to write a post on it. There is a few films based on Coco's life but they're in French, and even though I spent 6-7 years learning the language all I know fluently is 1-20 so unfortunately I cant watch it :( ..

No comments:

Post a Comment